My expertise is modeling and mitigating the air pollutions. Livestock farming is a major source of air pollution in the environment. According to the European Environment Agency (2015), the agriculture sector is responsible for 94% of ammonia emissions that have been reduced in the leading years. Considering the social impact of the air pollution emission from livestock farms, I have dedicated my research activities into the following topics:
1. Air Pollution Mitigation Techniques
In recent years, the international and national regulators and environmental NGOs have paid more attention to the harmful effects of air pollutant emissions from livestock farms on the environment, human health, and animal welfare. Mitigation, mitigation techniques are being developed to minimize the adverse effects of air pollutant.on the harmful effect of air pollutant emission from livestock farms on the environment, human health, and animal welfare. Consequently, mitigation techniques are being developed to minimize the adverse effects of air pollutant.
- Topics of interest: increasing the lifespan and performance of air filters for poultry farms application, removing acid gases from the exhaust air scrubbers, improving the performance of air ionization systems, optimization of heat exchanger units with novel solutions.
2. Particulate Matter (PM) Emission Modeling
The results of air pollution modeling from livestock farms can be used to ensure that the air quality permit does not exceed the air quality permit. Therefore, it is important to accurately determine the concentration of the emitted pollutant from livestock farms along with the dispersion pattern into neighborhood farms. Hence, the air pollution modeling approaches can be divided into two main categories: emission and dispersion models. The former model is related to the rate of pollution from a poultry litter. The later model is concerned with the air pollution dispersion pattern inside a barn or in the surrounding area of a farm.
- Modeling approaches: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Discrete Element Method (DEM), Lagrangian models, experimental investigations.
- Topics of interest: fine dust modulation from poultry litter beds, temperature changes inside the poultry litter bed, drying kinetics or poultry manure, air pollution distribution inside animal barns, pollution dispersion from livestock farms, modeling air ionization phenomenon.modelling from poultry litter beds, temperature changes inside the poultry litter bed, drying kinetics of poultry manure, air pollution distribution inside animal barns, pollution dispersion from livestock farms, modelling air ionization phenomenon.