Tenured Associated Professor of the University of the Balearic Islands. Researcher in tourism, its globalization, territorial planning, nature conservation and sustainability links, corporation development, real estate bussiness and socio-environmental conflicts.
Degree in Geography (UIB, 1989) and Master in Regional Planning (University of Aberdeen, 1993). PhD in Geography (UIB, 1996) on nature conservation and tourism. Member of the Research Group on Territory and Sustainability (GIST). Researcher on Territorial Tourism Planning and Sustainability.
He has participated recently in the projects entitled:
- 'Overtourism in Spanish Coastal Destinations. Tourism Degrowth Strategies' (RTI2018-094844-B-C31) of the Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities.
- ''Crisis and restructuring of tourist areas of the Spanish coast' (CSO2015-64468-P) of the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitivety.
- 'Geographies of the Crisis: an analysis of urban-tourist spaces of the Balearic Islands, Costa del Sol and the most important tourist destinations of the Caribbean and Central America', (CSO2012-30840) of the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitivety.
- 'The geo-economics and geopolitics of tourism. Analysis of the Balearic tourist glocalización and its socio environmental implications', (CSO2009-08400) of the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- 'Geographical Information System of tourist resorts managed by Balearic hotel chains in North Africa, the Caribbean and Central America', of the Office for Cooperation and Development of the UIB and Government of the Balearic Islands.
- 'Training for responsible tourism in Central America (Nicaragua and Santo Domingo)' and 'Analysis of Tourism and the Environment (Nicaragua)', Office for Cooperation and Development of the UIB and Balearic Islands Government. In collaboration with Alba Sud.
- 'Sustainability Indicators of the Balearic Islands', of the Guillem Cifre de Colonya Fundation and Ingenierías y Obras Sampol, S.A.
- 'Tourism funcionalization of the Balearic Islands (1955-2000): territorial adaptations and ecological crisis of the archipelago', (SEJ2006-07256/GEOG) of the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology.
- 'Tourism management of natural and cultural heritage and local development of interior spaces in the Balearic Islands' (BSO2001-3302-C02-02) of the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology.
He participates in the environmental movement with the Balearic Group of Ornithology and Defence of Nature (GOB), on behalf of which he formed part of the Economic and Social Council of the Balearic Islands (2008-2011) and the Technical Panel on regional and urban planning (since 2001). He collaborates with the development NGO Alba Sud, dealing with responsible tourism in Spain, Central America and the Caribbean.